29 September 2016
The “Trier China Talks” offer a regular, high-caliber forum to examine and discuss China’s political development and international relations, with a particular emphasis on the impact on Germany and Europe.
Our discussions in September 2016 revolved around crucial questions: Can the tightening of disciplinary and ideological controls help to achieve the broad-based institutional and economic restructuring that the Xi Jinping leadership is aiming at? Or will top-down leadership rather establish political rigidity without facilitating economic dynamism and social innovation?
The speakers included:
- Professor Dr. Jörn-Carsten Gottwald, Ruhr-Universität Bochum
- Professor Gaochao He, Sun Yat-Sen University Guangzhou
- Lieutnant Colonel (GS) Daniel Schneider, Federal Ministry of Defence
- Dr. Dirk Schmidt, Trier University
- Dr. Kristin Shi-Kupfer, MERICS
- Zhang Jieping, chief editor Initium, Hong Kong
- Professor Dr. Sebastian Heilmann, President MERICS